There is no doubt the University of Georgia attracts students from across the globe. Taking a brief walk around the beautiful 762 acre campus, you’ll be exposed to college students from all over the world. There are a lot of reasons UGA stands so proudly as an international destination for learning. It begins with terrific educational opportunities as the University is organized into seventeen schools and colleges. It is within an hour of the international city of Atlanta, Georgia. It also helps that there are international student housing options near the University of Georgia.
A Brief History of the University of Georgia
It can help international students to know a bit about this prestigious American University that was started in 1785. Its first president was Abraham Baldwin, a native of Connecticut and a graduate of Yale University. To this day, many believe the University of Georgia campus resembles that of Yale. The University has operated continuously with the exception of two and a half years during the American Civil War.
A Truly International College Community
Today, the the national college rankings places the University among the top 20 of all of the public universities in the United States and in the top 10 in overall value. The University of Georgia has grown its global community through comprehensive study-abroad programs. Open Doors 2015 placed the University of Georgia 11th for most students studying abroad. That is a significant increase from the 17th position it held in the 2012-2013 school year. There has been a 50% increase in Asian enrollment at the University since 2005. Enrollment of Hispanic students has increased by about 8% from 2011 to 2012.
UGA has truly become a destination for international students looking to study abroad.
Locating Quality International Student Housing Near UGA
Other than most young, first year students attending the University of Georgia, who are required to live on campus, many international students will seek off-campus student housing options. Here are some tips for choosing international student housing near the University of Georgia.
1. Select housing that is specifically for UGA students. It can be helpful and comforting to be surrounded with fellow UGA students who are going through similar experiences. A housing community that caters to UGA students is an excellent choice.
2. Stay close to campus. It is exciting to live off campus, but you’ll still want to be close to classes. This can save you time and money and allows you to walk or bicycle to campus. Staying close to campus also keeps you focused on why you are there.
3. Choose space that is comfortable. Remember, you will be a long way from home so you will want comfortable living space to help you enjoy your college experience. Look for in-unit amenities like in-unit washers and dryers, stainless steel appliances and private bathrooms.
4. Choose a community with a roommate matching service. Many international student housing communities offer roommate matching services to help put roommates together who may be compatible. Make sure that you sign an individual lease that makes you responsible for only your share of the lease.
5. Selecting a furnished apartment can make move-in and move-out much easier. International students can benefit greatly from housing options that are furnished. This can be a priority for many when choosing where to live near UGA.
6. Look for communities with plenty to do. You will spend more time at your apartment than you may believe. Make sure there are recreational and social options close by.
These criteria can be met by Athens, Georgia’s newest off-campus housing choice scheduled to open in the fall of 2017.
Welcome to The Mark: Now Leasing for the Fall of 2017
The Mark is a modern, off-campus student housing option with floor plans that range from one to five bedrooms. Each bedroom has its own private bath, and apartments are stylishly furnished. The Mark is steps from the UGA campus and was designed specifically for those attending the University of Georgia. Our apartments are roomy, with quality in-unit upgrades like marble countertops, natural wood-looking floors and full-size washers and dryers. The Mark is offering some superior community amenities not found elsewhere like a rooftop pool and sundeck area, state-of-the-art fitness center, basketball and racquetball court, game room, self-serve coffee shop, group study areas and hi-speed WiFi. Ours is a limited-access community with digital card security and on-site management.
Some floor plans are already sold out, so the time to act is now! Contact The Mark today. Fill out your application and live at the best international student housing option near the University of Georgia at The Mark.